Meningitis Confirmed In Pa. Student’s Death
PHILADELPHIA (AP) – The Philadelphia medical examiner has determined that a Drexel University student’s death was caused by bacterial meningitis.
The finding released Wednesday confirms suspicions about what happened to sophomore Stephanie Ross of Pittsburgh, who was found unresponsive Monday by housemates at her sorority house.
Ross was rushed to a hospital, where she died.
City health officials suspect the same meningitis strain that hit Princeton University in the fall might be to blame in Ross’ death. While most colleges, including Drexel, require meningitis vaccinations for students, the rare strain at Princeton is not covered by American vaccines.
Meningitis symptoms can include a stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity and confusion.