2013-08-15 / Local & State

3 Hurt When Ruptured Gas Line Sparks Fire In Pa.

ARDMORE, Pa. (AP) – Three people are injured after a gas leak sparked a fire on the campus of a college in suburban Philadelphia.

It happened around 4 p.m. Wednesday on the campus of Rosemont College in Lower Merion Township.

A fire broke out when a construction worker accidentally ruptured a four-inch underground gas line while installing a light post for the college’s new athletic complex.

Officials say three workers suffered minor burns. Two were being treated at Temple University Hospital and the third declined treatment.

Crews were able to put out the flames and shut off the gas main shortly before 5:30 p.m.

The college says the fire started at the site where a dugout and walkway are being built for a turf soccer field and grass softball field.

Return to top