26th Annual Blue Ribbon Apple Pie Contest
Calling all bakers for the 2013 Blue Ribbon Apple Pie baking contest to be held on August 12, 2012, at the Fulton County Fair. The contest is cosponsored by The Pennsylvania Apple Marketing Program, The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and The Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs.
More than 100 fairs across Pennsylvania will offer cash prizes for the best pie. Fulton County Fair’s contest is preliminary competition that leads to the selection of the final Blue Ribbon Apple Pie winner held each January at the Pennsylvania State Farm Show. The first-place winner at the Farm Show will be awarded a cash prize of $500 for their winning entry. Other cash prizes will also be available for the top-five entries.
The rules for Fulton County Fair’s contest are as follows:
1. Open to any individual who is a Pennsylvania resident; only one entry per person.
2. Entrants may not have won first place in this Blue Ribbon Apple Pie contest at any other fair in 2013.
3. Entry to be a pie that must include at least 60 percent apples in the filling. It does not need to be a “traditional” two crusted apple pie and it can have a variety of fillings.
4. The entire pie must be submitted for judging in a disposable pie pan.
5. The recipe for the pie and pie crust must be submitted with the entry. It should be submitted on an 8 ½-inch-by-11-inch sheet of paper. The recipe must list all the ingredients, quantities and the preparation instructions. Entrant’s name, address and phone number must be printed on the back side of all the pages.
6. Refrigeration is not available at the fair or PA Farm Show. Entries that require refrigeration after baking must indicate so in the recipe. Those entries will not be sold, auctioned or otherwise distributed for consumption after judging for food safety reasons.
7. Judging will be based on the following criteria:
Flavor: 30 points
Filling: consistency, doneness, moistness and flavor: 25 points
Crust: color, flavor, texture doneness: 20 points
Overall appearance: 15 points
Creativity: 10 points
Total: 100 points
So dig out that favorite apple pie recipe and give it a try. You could end up being the Blue Ribbon Apple Pie winner at the Pennsylvania State Farm Show. For more information, obtain a Fulton County Fair premium book at a local business. All entries must be submitted by August 12 at noon.