2013-06-06 / Local & State

Summer Exhibits At Fulton House

SPECIAL TO THE NEWS


Pictured above is one of local artist Calla Hill’s paintings. Pictured above is one of local artist Calla Hill’s paintings. Summer exhibits at the Fulton House include a large display of Native American artifacts and a large collection of paintings by Calla Hill.

Nearly all the arrowheads and hand tools were found in southcentral Pennsylvania. Charles Walker began finding arrowheads as a child in Somerset County and continued when eh came to live just north of Mc- Connellsburg. Along with the museum’s permanent collection, Monica Seville and Joan Miller have also graciously loaned their collections for the summer.

Also on display in thd Fulton House are many paintings by Calla Hill (1923-1996). She attended elementary and high school in McConnellsburg. In 1939 she married Lemual “Bud” Hill and began raising a family of five children: Kathaleen, Harry, Roger, Denny and Randy. She worked hard alongside her husband and children on a large dairy farm in the Narrows near Knobsville.

Around 1966 she began drawing and painting pictures. She had natural talent and began receiving requests for her paintings. She was asked to do homeplaces, mills, springhouses, still lifes, animals, portraits, woods, lakes, barns and homes.

She took three courses from an artist at the Hagerstown YMCA and a watercolor course at a local high school. She studied many books borrowed from several libraries. She worked in oils, watercolors, acrylics, pastels, pen and ink, pencil and charcoal. She liked to work in most any medium and always did a sketch of the subject before starting the final painting.

Calla was a very humble person regarding her talent. She gifted many of her earlier paintings to family members and good friends.

Despite many health problems over the years she raised five children, worked din the barn and fields, was loved by everyone in her immediate and extended family and became a renowned painter in Fulton County. Two of her paintings are for sale at the Fulton House and the library.

The Fulton House is open Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., until Labor Day. The Historical Society’s annual publications, cookbooks, reprints and the DVDs of the parades and celebrations from 1936, 1950, 1961 and 1986 will be available. The DVDs and publications are also available at the treasurer’s office and the library.

Return to top