Owner Burned Fighting Garage Fire
A McConnellsburg man remains at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Burn Unit this week recovering from second- and third-degree burns suffered while trying to extinguish a garage fire last Thursday afternoon.
Fred Mellott was flown to Baltimore following the April 18 fire that erupted at his detached garage or shed located at 527 Crossroads Road. His wife Nina shared with the “News” on Monday Fred has improved since his initial arrival and “is doing much better.”
Nina added some of the burns are starting to scab over and as of now, he was slated to have surgery Wednesday on his right arm, which sustained third-degree burns. He is eating, and the medical staff has had him up to walk, she noted.
According to McConnellsburg Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Pete Lynch, emergency responders were alerted to the fire in progress at 1:32 p.m., by neighbors. Lynch said a neighbor reportedly heard an explosion, but officials are still unclear as to what my have caused it.
At the time of their arrival, the garage was already fully engulfed, Lynch said. Firefighters from Mc- Connellsburg as well as Hustontown and Mercersburg, Montgomery, Peters and Warren townships worked to extinguish the blaze and kept the fire from spreading to the couple’s home only 50 feet away.
Lynch noted the fire was fueled in part by several stacks of lumber inside the building. The garage and its contents were a total loss.
Firefighters remained on the scene in Ayr Township for two hours.