2013-01-23 / Local & State

Carbon Monoxide Kills Lifelong Friends In Pa. Home

CLAIRTON, Pa. (AP) – Carbon monoxide poisoning has killed a pair of lifelong friends in western Pennsylvania, and authorities say the gas reading in the home was 50 times higher than the safe level.

Family members tell WTAE-TV that 56-year-old William Chapman and 47- year- old Gary Townsend were found dead in a Clairton house on Saturday.

The furnace in Chapman’s home was malfunctioning, and relatives became worried when he didn't answer his phone.

Firefighters say the gas gauges showed a carbon monoxide reading of 500, 50 times the level that is considered safe.

Clairton Fire Chief John Lattanzi tells the station that firefighters had to wait an hour for the gas levels to dissipate before entering the home.

Return to top