2013-01-23 / Front Page

Eagles Donate To Community

Approximately $55,000 awarded by FOE Executive Board
By Chanin Rotz-Mountz


On hand for the check presentation ceremony Sunday morning were, left to right: Robert Strait of Sportsmen for Youth, FOE Treasurer Dick Karper, FOE trustee Bill Secrist, Cpl. William Baker of Camp Cadet, left to right, back row: Kevin Mountz and Jim Fittry of Sportsmen for Youth, FOE President Kevin Hoffman, Deanne Baker of the Southern Fulton Athletic Association and Trooper Ellis Barnett of Camp Cadet. On hand for the check presentation ceremony Sunday morning were, left to right: Robert Strait of Sportsmen for Youth, FOE Treasurer Dick Karper, FOE trustee Bill Secrist, Cpl. William Baker of Camp Cadet, left to right, back row: Kevin Mountz and Jim Fittry of Sportsmen for Youth, FOE President Kevin Hoffman, Deanne Baker of the Southern Fulton Athletic Association and Trooper Ellis Barnett of Camp Cadet. NEWS EDITOR

After receiving numerous requests in recent months, officials from the Fraternal Order of Eagles, Aerie 4274, carefully whittled down their list of potential recipients and awarded approximately $55,000 to area organizations last week.

In a special presentation ceremony held Sunday morning at the Harrisonville club along Lincoln Highway, trustees and officers from the FOE Executive Board handed over sizeable checks to representatives of several prominent community groups.

Among those on hand to accept the generous donations were Deanne Baker, president of the Southern Fulton Athletic Association; Cpl. William Baker and Trooper Ellis Barnett representing Fulton County Camp Cadet; and Game Commission officers Kevin Mountz, Robert Strait and James Fittry of Fulton County Sportsmen for Youth.

According to reports, the Athletic Association plans to use its funding to purchase district jackets for student athletics. Meanwhile, Cpl. Baker shared with the “News” that Camp Cadet has big plans for the 2013 annual camp. In addition to purchasing new mountain bikes as well as the required ammunition, their hope is also to replace their current supply of sweatshirts and T-shirts for the cadets.

Sportsmen for Youth is slated to take its allotment and help promote and expand its current schedule of events offered through annual Youth Field Day.

FOE certainly met its goal of awarding money to needy organizations within the community. In fact, the club eagerly complied with government regulations that require it to donate 70 percent of its gambling proceeds back to the community. The remaining 30 percent of proceeds can be used for endeavors such as building projects, equipment purchases and to help pay taxes.

The end result was that well over two dozen local entities received a generous donation from the FOE headed by executive board President Kevin Hoffman.

In addition to those already mentioned, other groups reportedly receiving donations included:
 St. Stephen Catholic Church
 Central Fulton, Southern Fulton and Forbes Road scholarship
programs (recent recipients include Gary Swope, Erin McQuait
and Dakota Deneen)
 Fulton County 4-H and FFA
Livestock Show
 Pennsylvania Wounded Warriors program
 Fulton County Library
 Forbes Road FFA
 H3D fast pitch softball team
 Center United Methodist
Church Food Bank
 Fulton County troops of Girl
Scouts of America
 Fulton County troops of Boy
Scouts of America
 Hustontown, Warfordsburg
and McConnellsburg senior citizen
centers
 Green Hill Sewing Club
 Central Fulton and Forbes
Road athletic associations
 Fulton County Cowboys football team
 Fulton County Cowboys
cheerleading squad
 Buck Valley, McConnellsburg
and Forbes Road Little League associations  McConnellsburg United
Methodist Church Outreach Program  Fulton County Food Basket.
“We would like to thank all of
our members, patrons, manager,
employees and officers for making
2012 a successful year,” said Hoffman. “The Eagles Club is pleased
and honored to be in a position to
donate monies to these groups
and organizations.”

Return to top