2013-01-09 / Local & State

House Fire Ruled Accidental

Blaze stemmed from chimney complications
By Chanin Rotz-Mountz
NEWS EDITOR

An assistant deputy fire marshal with the Pennsylvania State Police in Mc- Connellsburg has completed his investigation into a local house fire that erupted during the early morning hours Saturday, December 29.

Trooper Bradley Huff told the “News” he wrapped up his investigation on December 31 into the house fire at 4416 Buck Valley Road, Warfordsburg. Huff stated the case has been ruled an accidental fire due to complications with the chimney, which was located toward the rear of the residence belonging to Ada Fletcher.

Huff said the residence and Fletcher’s personal belongings have been deemed a total loss that is estimated at around $200,000. The home was insured, the assistant deputy fire marshal added.

Six fire companies were dispatched to the Union Township home at 5:20 a.m., with the command post and scene overseen by primary responders from the Little Orleans Fire Co. In media reports, fire Chief John Clingerman said weather conditions, which included heavy falling snow, slowed the company’s arrival.

The main home and addition were fully involved by the time firefighters were able to establish a proper command post, Clingerman said. A small structure nearby and a 2003 Ford truck were damaged as well.

Fire companies from Needmore, Hancock, Berkeley Springs, Flintstone and Great Cacapon located in Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Virginia aided in firefighting efforts at the scene.

Fletcher and the four additional individuals who had been residing with her the evening of the fire were able to exit the building safely. As of late last week Fletcher was reportedly residing at the Good Samaratin House in nearby Hancock, Md.

No known collection efforts for Fletcher have been established to date within the community. However, it was reported earlier that the American Red Cross provided aid following the blaze.

Return to top