Day Of Celebration At Spring House Estates
Tuesday, April 17 marked the opening celebration of Homewood Retirement Centers’ 80th anniversary at their Spring House Estates, Everett location. A ribbon-cutting ceremony officially launched this milestone anniversary celebration, followed with a dedication of Homewood’s Heritage Wall, which depicts the history of Homewood from 1932 to present day.
In attendance for this day of celebration were many Spring House residents, Bedford County Chamber of Commerce, and Homewood senior management, including President Ernie Angell, VP of Operations Conrad Peachey, VP of Funds Development John Warren, and Spring House Executive Director Gina Montgomery. A by-invitation only luncheon and presentation were enjoyed as well as an 80th anniversary cake.
President Angell spoke about the birth of the Homewood legacy 80 years ago when visionary George Pearson left $100,000 in his estate to the Potomac Synod of the Reformed Church to build “a home for widows and spinsters.” Soon after that, in 1932, the first residents moved into a home at 1805 Virginia Avenue in Half Way, Md., which later became known as Homewood. He further noted that the endowment assets of the Homewood Foundation are now approximately $28 million. Angell emphasized Homewood’s commitment to being of service to their residents, clients, co-workers and communities.
VP of Fundraising John Warren noted that the original culture at Homewood was and remains one of giving and service. Early Homewood residents benefitted from the generosity of church members who would regularly bring in staples. In 1972, the benevolent fund at Homewood was officially created to assist residents whose assets were depleted. Today, the Homewood Foundation recognizes the broadened mission of the foundation and in 2012 is estimated to provide more than $6.3 million for benevolent care and subsidies for residents.
Executive director Gina Montgomery spoke about the growth of the Spring House community in 2011, noting a 30 percent increase in resident population! Montgomery also shared exciting news for Spring House – with the October 2012 planned construction of a 30-unit apartment addition that will feature two different floor plans for 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartments, and the construction of a pool.
Homewood’s Heritage Wall is on display now at Spring House Estates and the public is encouraged to visit.