Pa. Teen’s Hand Nearly Severed In Machete Attack
WILKES- BARRE, Pa. (AP) – Authorities in northeastern Pennsylvania say a ninth-grader nearly lost his hand in a machete attack after school.
Wilkes-Barre police Lt. Steve Olshefski says officers are pursuing several leads in the violent confrontation between teenagers on Thursday outside G.A.R. Junior- Senior High School.
No arrests had been made as of Friday evening.
Schools Superintendent Jeffrey Namey says the 15- year-old victim's hand was partially severed. The boy was taken to a hospital, where doctors worked to reattach it.
An eighth-grader interviewed by WNEP-TV described racial tensions between blacks and Hispanics at the school.
But Mayor Tom Leighton issued a statement Friday asking people to refrain from speculating on a motive for the attack until the investigation is complete.