2012-01-05 / Local & State

Stove Pipe Source Of Fatal Christmas Fire

RICHMOND FURNACE, Pa. (AP) – Investigators say they believe a cracked vent pipe above a wood stove was the source of a fire that killed a man in a south- central Pennsylvania home early Christmas morning.

State police in Franklin County say the blaze in Metal Township was reported at about 4:40 a.m. Sunday. An elderly couple escaped, but 48-year-old Brian Glass of Fort Loudon was killed.

Trooper Jeff Sarver, a state police fire marshal, told WHTM-TV that gases from burning wood apparently leaked from the pipe into the kitchen, filling it with smoke. When the homeowner opened the door to try to clear the smoke, he said, oxygen rushed in and the room burst into flames.

Coroner Jeffrey Conner says Glass was trapped inside the burning structure and died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Return to top