Cito Church Celebrates 100 Years
Cito United Methodist Church celebrated its 100th anniversary this past Sunday. The church’s roots began as several summer Sunday schools, which began in 1908 and were held in the Spring House Valley School (later known as Cito School). After a successful revival at the A.M.E. Church at Cito in the fall of 1910, a donation of land, lumber and labor was made, and the Cito Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated on December 10, 1911. After years of church unions and mergers, the present day Cito United Method-ist Church was formed in 1968.
Welcoming former pastoral leaders and their families, a ministerial son, friends and visitors, the church celebrated with special guest Bishop Jane Allen Middleton from the Susquehanna United Methodist Conference.
A combined choir and special music was also provided to celebrate the day. Each guest received a history booklet of the church compiled from previous histories, notes and records.
The old church was opened with historical displays and photos. Pastor Phyllis Bard took time to play the old church organ for guests passing through. The recently completed basement was also opened for self-guided tours. Several slide presentations were also presented during and after worship depicting church history and growth and made available on the Cito Facebook page.
The 100-year history of the church was dedicated to those early Sunday School teachers who cared enough for their community to start a church at Cito and to those who served throughout the years in the ministries of the Cito United Methodist Church.