2011-05-12 / Local & State

Officials Suspect Freon In Pa. Worker Death

PHOENIXVILLE, Pa. (AP) – Police say the man who died after being overcome by fumes while working in a vacant building may have been killed by Freon from the air conditioning system.

Authorities identified the dead man Monday as 28- year-old Wayne Edeline, of Philadelphia. Officials say he and three other workers were exposed to the fumes on Saturday while removing mechanical equipment and scrap material from the empty warehouse in Charlestown Township, Chester County.

The Daily Local News of West Chester reports a preliminary investigation found the air conditioning system was still pressurized and several valves had been opened, allowing the gas to escape.

All four men were pulled from the building by firefighters. The remaining three were treated and released from a hospital.

Edeline was part-owner of G&W Debris Removal in Philadelphia.

Return to top