2011-03-31 / Local & State

Heater Cited In Central Pa. Fire That Killed 2

EAST BERLIN, Pa. (AP) – Authorities in central Pennsylvania say a fire that killed an elderly man and woman was accidental.

York County firefighters were called to the Washington Township home on Thursday morning where a blaze destroyed the residence, and rescuers were unable to reach those inside.

The York County coroner’s office said 80-year-old Catherine Peterman and 77- year-old William Emig were pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy concluded that both died of smoke inhalation.

Trooper Tom Pinkerton, a state police spokesman, said a wall- mounted propane heater set combustible material, probably furniture, on fire in the living room on the first floor. He said such units are not supposed to have anything within three feet, and the material that caught fire was less than a foot away.

Return to top