2010-10-14 / Local & State

FEMA Assistance Climbs To $25 Million

Government and nonprofits receive reimbursement for february snow damages

PHILADELPHIA – The catastrophic winter storms that inundated Pennsylvania in February left the commonwealth blanketed with record and near-record snow amounts. The result was a presidential disaster declaration which, to date, has resulted in federal grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) totaling $25,319,497.04.

The declaration opened the door for FEMA assistance through the Stafford Act, which is providing recovery assistance to eligible commonwealth and local governments as well as certain private nonprofit organizations in the 27 affected jurisdictions.

“These funds provide financial relief to the impacted communities, especially during these challenging financial times,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Regis Phelan, “They are critical in helping to restore funds spent responding to the snow disaster.”

The breakdown of FEMA assistance is as follows:

Debris Removal: $521,073.73

Protective Measures: $24,296,076.75

Roads & Bridges: $9,362.27

Public Buildings: $124,216.48

Public Utilities: $1,875.00

Recreational and Others: $56,910.81

Administrative Costs: $310,182.00

TOTAL: $25,319,497.04

Counties designated include: Adams, Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Chester, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Fayette, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Huntingdon, Indiana, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Montgomery, Perry, Philadelphia, Somerset, Westmoreland and York.

FEMA’s Public Assistance program is available to states and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis. FEMA pays 75 percent of the eligible project costs. The remaining 25 percent is a local cost share. Additional funding for the program continues to be obligated as FEMA processes the remaining project worksheets for the disaster.

“The federal contribution to our recovery efforts is greatly appreciated,” said State Coordinating Officer Robert P. French. “These numbers will continue to increase in the next few weeks as various projects around the state are completed, and FEMA’s hands-on assistance and has provided welcome support.”

FEMA is responsible for managing the Public Assistance program, approving grants and providing technical assistance to eligible applicants. The Commonwealth’s Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) educates potential applicants by holding applicant briefings, works with FEMA to manage the program and is responsible for implementing and monitoring the grants awarded under the program. Local officials are responsible for identifying damage, providing information necessary for FEMA and PEMA to approve grants, and managing the project funded under the program.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards.

Return to top