2010-06-10 / Front Page

Fire Damages Two-Story Home Near Knobsville

Cause linked to electrical malfunction
By Chanin Rotz-Mountz STAFF WRITER

A fire marshal with the Pennsylvania State Police has completed his investigation into an early evening fire that damaged a twostory home over the weekend.

Trooper M.B. Gordon spent several hours Monday morning looking into the origin of the June 6 blaze at the 424 Blackberry Lane, McConnellsburg, home of Douglas and Jackie Kerlin.

According to Gordon, the cause of the fire has been linked to an electrical malfunction. The origin, the fire marshal told the “News,” has been traced to a crawl space located behind a child’s bedroom.

The blaze was called into emergency responders at 7:32 p.m. when Douglas Kerlin’s mother, who lives adjacent to the Todd Township residence, spotted the fire. Neither the couple nor their five children were home when the fire erupted.

Initial responders from the McConnellsburg Volunteer Fire Co. arrived minutes later and reportedly observed smoke coming from the residence. Mc- Connellsburg Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Harr said that in arriving at the scene, firefighters found a working fire in progress on the second floor and attic area as well as flames coming out of the rear of the home.

Fellow firefighters from Hustontown and Needmore provided assistance at the scene, and St. Thomas remained on standby for McConnellsburg.

Harr stated the initial knockdown of the flames took approximately 15 minutes after the company put an attack line in service and followed up with a backup line. Several hours were then required to check for hot spots and complete mop up.

Damage to the Kerlin family home and personal belongings have been estimated by the fire marshal as being at $100,000.

Return to top