Special Services Held At St. Paul’s UCC
A special service was held Sunday, May 30, commemorating the anniversary of the signing of the deed by Daniel McConnell and his wife, Mary, to the Reformed Church on May 26, 1798, deeding lots 40 and 41 to the congregation while laying out the town of McConnellsburg.
This transaction required the payment of 10 English pounds. On this day and every year hereafter, on a Sunday on or near the signing date of May 26, the members of St. Paul’s German Reformed Church, now St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, will pause to honor its special connection to the founder of McConnellsburg, Daniel McConnell, by donating a sum equal to the 10 English pounds given to him back then.
“Today we give thanks to God for the land on which we stand and respectfully pause to remember a moment in history and ask for God’s blessings in all our works, begun, continued, and ended: now and forever more, as a result of the generosity of Daniel McConnell and his wife, Mary, in donating land for our congregation.”
The members of St. Paul’s paid special recognition to Daniel McConnell by donating the equivalent of 10 English pounds to the Fulton County Historical Society for preservation of the history of McConnellsburg.