2010-05-20 / From Days Gone By

60 Years Ago

From The Files of June 1, 1950
’50 A proposed addition to the local school plant, consisting of 15 classrooms, has been submitted to the state public school building authority for

approval. The addition is designed to take care of the greatly increased enrollment and is planned for not more than $286,200. The building will be paid for by Ayr and Todd townships and the borough of McConnellsburg.

Miss Huldah Decker was one of a class of 29 to graduate from nurses’ training at the York Hospital on May 22.

Due to numerous complaints from the older residents in the area, the county commissioners are requesting that boys 16 and over play their games some place other than the courthouse lawn.

The R. C. Mellott farm in Belfast Township has been sold to Blain Schooley of Harrisonville.

Recent births: a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Crouse of Big Cove Tannery on May 14; a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Harry Bivens of Big Cove Tannery on May 21; a son to Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Peck of McConnellsburg on May 28; a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Harold J. Miller of McConnellsburg on May 28.

Emma G. Bottenfield of Crystal Spring received her Bachelor of Science degree from Shippensburg on May 29.

Deaths: John George Valentine of near McConnellsburg; Harry Deneen of Deneen’s Gap; Mrs. Allie Garland of near Crystal Spring; Mrs. Mary A. McDaid of Hustontown; Reuben Sipes Mellott of Harrisonville.

Return to top