2010-05-06 / Front Page

Driveway Work Requires Permit

PennDOT reminds property owners that if they are planning to make property improvements that include constructing or altering a driveway that connects to a state highway, they must first obtain a highway occupancy permit.

Permit applications can be obtained from your PennDOT county office and are required by Section 420 of the state highway law. After completing an application, property owners can simply submit it to their PennDOT County Office for review. PennDOT will review the driveway location to make sure it is in compliance with applicable state laws and regulations, such as sight distance, drainage and proposed driveway design features.

Property owners need to apply for a permit at least 30 days in advance of the date they plan to start work on their driveway. However, to avoid costly problems, PennDOT strongly encourages property owners to obtain a driveway permit before obtaining a building permit. In fact, some municipalities require this by ordinance because costly problems can often be avoided by having an acceptable driveway location approved prior to constructing a building on the property.

Once the driveway construction or alteration is completed, the property owner can notify their PennDOT county office so that a final inspection can be conducted to verify that the work that was done is consistent with the permit.

There is an application fee of $25 for a residential driveway permit. A property owner who fails to obtain a permit prior to the construction of a new driveway or alters the design of an existing driveway is subject to a minimum $100 fine, plus court costs. There can be additional costs if the driveway is installed improperly and needs to be corrected by the property owner or PennDOT.

Although a driveway permit is not normally required for paving an existing driveway, if you are planning on paving an existing permitted driveway, please contact your PennDOT county office to discuss the effects that such paving might have on highway drainage.

Return to top