Ellis W. Van Horn Jr. Martinsburg, 90
Ellis William “Bill” Van Horn Jr., 90, Martinsburg, formerly of Bedford, died Monday, April 19, 2010, in his home at the Homewood Retirement Community in Martinsburg, after a brief illness.
He was born June 4, 1919, in Cumberland, Md., a son of the late E.W. and Cora (Smouse) Van Horn Sr.
On May 12, 1945, in Beaver Springs, he married Gladys M. “Sue” Koch, and she preceded him in death on February 10, 2007.
He is survived by two children: Daniel F. Van Horn and wife Elizabeth of Arlington, Va.; and Cheryl A. Gordon and husband Scott of Hanover; one granddaughter, Stephanie Riley, and husband Bradley of Hanover; and three greatgrandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a grandson, Stephen Berkheimer, in 2003.
He graduated from Replogle High School in New Enterprise in 1936. He then enrolled in Juniata College in Huntingdon, from which he graduated in 1940. He then entered law school at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
After graduating from law school in 1943, he joined the United States Army and served during world War II in the field artillery and later as a member of the Judge Advocate Corps in Japan. Following his honorable discharge as a captain, he practiced law for a brief time in Easton before opening a law office in Bedford in 1947.
He had a varied general law practice, served as district attorney for Bedford County from 1956-1963, and was the Bedford County solicitor, as well as the solicitor for various municipalities in Bedford County. He was appointed judge for Bedford and Fulton counties in 1975, and served in that position until 1985, after which he presided in various courts of counties throughout central and western Pennsylvania as a senior judge. In addition to his legal career, he was the president of New Enterprise Bank for several years prior to his appointment to his judiciary. He was also instrumental in organizing a National Guard Unit in Everett, and served as its commanding officer from 1949 until 1962.
He and Sue were residents of Bedford from 1947 until 1989, where they were members of Trinity Lutheran Church. While in Bedford, he was active in civic affairs and vairous community organizations, including the Elks and Lions. They relocated to Hollidaysburg in 1989 and became members of Zion Lutheran Church. They moved to Homewood at Martinsburg in 2006.
Burial was private and a memorial service will be held at the convenience of the family.
The Timothy A. Berkebile Funeral Home in Bedford was in charge of arrangements.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Luekemia and Lymphoma Society or to any other chairtable or educational organization of one’s choice.