2010-02-04 / Local & State

Historical Society News

Fulton County Historical Society announces that it has obtained eight rolls of microfilmed newspapers which have been added to its collection.

The Fulton County newspapers prior to 1865 were destroyed when the Confederate army raided McConnellsburg. Local news printed before that time is to be found in the Bedford and Franklin County papers. Therefore the society has purchased the “Franklin Repository” microfilm from October 1802 until December 1839, the “Bedford Gazette” from September 1805 to April 1809 and June 1854 until February 1865, the “Bedford Democratic Inquirer” February 1850 to November 1852, the “Bedford Chronicle” February 1854 to November 1855, the “Bedford Inquirer and Chronicle” November 1855 to October 1857 and the “Bedford Inquirer” November 1857 to October 1860.

These are in the Historical Society’s research room at the Fulton County Library in McConnellsburg. The room is open during library hours and is free to the public upon registration.

Donations to maintain the room are greatly appreciated.

Return to top