2009-12-24 / Front Page

Child Homicide Hearing Scheduled

Shane Pittman remains incarcerated in death of 24-month-old girl
24-month-old girl By Chanin Rotz-Mountz STAFF WRITER

A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for later this month in the homicide case of 24-month-old Kylie Marie York, who suffered fatal hemorrhaging and spine and neck injuries allegedly at the hands of her mother’s boyfriend.

Shane Douglas Pittman of 3026 Gem Bridge Road, Needmore, will appear in court on Wednesday, December 30, at 9 a.m. in the Fulton County Courthouse. Pittman will be represented in the court proceeding by court-appointed attorney Dwight Harvey.

Pittman, 31, stands accused of violently grabbing his girlfriend’s daughter and dropping her into a dry bathtub after the toddler spit up on her pajamas at 11 a.m. on December 2. She had been in Pittman’s care since 8 a.m. that morning at her home located along Black Foot Drive just off Peach Orchard Road in Mc- Connellsburg.

During a series of interviews with Pittman at Hershey Medical Center, where Kylie laid unconscious and unresponsive to doctor’s efforts for several days, Pennsylvania State Police investigator Trooper Blaine Henderson learned Pittman responded to the girl’s upset stomach by grabbing the toddler by the arms and running to the bathroom.

“Pittman related that when he grabbed her by the arms her head/neck snapped back and forth (an estimated 10 times). Pittman related that he ran down the hallway, dropped her into the dry bathtub from approximately two feet, and she landed on her butt and fell backwards onto her back,” Henderson stated in the affidavit of probable cause.

The charging documents further stated the girl cried and struggled to get up but was allegedly grabbed by the arms, waist and neck to keep her in the tub. Her head, arms, shoulders and legs banged the sides of the tub.

The toddler was then found bathed, clothed in clean pajamas and lying unresponsive on the couch by her mother, Shannon Wood, who returned home from work shortly after 1 p.m.

An autopsy completed at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown revealed Kylie’s death was a direct result of severe hemorrhaging at the base of her neck, a whiplash-type injury to her upper spine/neck and blunt force trauma to the brain.

Charges against Pittman include criminal homicide (a nonbailable offense) and endangering the welfare of children. He was initially arrested following the incident on a state parole violation and remanded to the Huntingdon State Correctional Institution where he currentlyremains. Court of Common Pleas documents show in March 2007, a protection-from-abuse order was filed in Washington County, Md., against Pittman. Shortly thereafter, an arson fire occurred at the home of Pittman’s now ex-wife in Hancock, Md., to which he entered a guilty plea. During the course of the various violations, Pittman was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation and complete any necessary treatments.

Return to top