Tour of Historic Homes To Be Held In Hancock
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS
Nine buildings in and around Hancock, Md., are to be featured in the Hancock Historical Society’s first-ever Holiday Tour of Historic Homes this Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 21 and Nov. 22, from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. each day.
The tour includes one of the original early 19th-century National Road toll houses, bed and breakfasts, churches, the Hancock Museum and private homes.
Featured historic structures include:
National Road Toll House, Old Route 40: Chartered in 1819, the National Road between Hancock and Cumberland, Md., was completed in 1822. The old brick toll house that is now owned by the town of Hancock and maintained by the Historical Society is referred to in a deed dated March 29, 1820, as “lately erected.” The land it sits on was part of a tract known as Brent’s Chance, which Thomas Brent obtained a patent for in 1793.
Foxcroft or Raymondhurst, 3 Grand Street: Also know as the “Dillon Mansion,” this private 15- room home was built in 1908 with the finest wood and materials available at the time. The current owners are restoring the structure to its original grandeur.
1828 Inn, 10 West Main Street: Furnished mostly in the Mission Style, this structure is now and bed and breakfast. It was known for many years as the McKinley House and was home to two doctors and at one time housed Mason’s Drug Store in its basement.
St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 2 East High Street: Built in 1835, St. Thomas celebrates its 175th anniversary in 2010. The church was used as a Union hospital after Hancock was attacked by Stonewall Jackson on Jan. 5, 1862. Its graveyard is the burial place of Maj. James Breathed, M.D., who was chief of Confederate States Army general J.E.B. Stuart’s horse artillery. Of special interest is an original Tiffany stained glass window and a balcony that was originally used by slaves who attended services here and now houses an M.P. Moller pipe organ.
Taney House, Berm Road: Probably constructed in the 1870s, this structure sits on the C&O Canal and was first used as a warehouse for a whiskey dealership. It is now a bed and breakfast.
Hancock Museum, Hancock Historical Society, Town Hall, High Street: Hancock’s repository for genealogy, photographs, newspaper records, advertising items, permanent displays and rotating exhibits. Refreshments will be served at the museum to house tour visitors and door prizes awarded.
Hancock United Methodist Church, 170 West Main Street: Serving the Hancock community for 181 years, the present church building was erected in 1909 on land that was obtained in 1828.
Good Samaritan House, 6 & 8 West High Street: Although the 1877 Atlas of Washington County, Md., shows a structure in this location, the exact date of the Good Samaritan House’s construction is not known. The building was purchased in 2007 by the Interfaith Coalition and is used as a temporary safe haven for victims of fire and family emergencies.
Mr. Flint’s or Cohill Mansion, 5012 Western Pike: George Washington visited and dined at this privately owned home and mentions it in a September 1779 journal entry. Mr. Flint was an Indian trader who owned 258 acres of land. The exact date of the home’s construction is not known, but a cast-iron fire back dated 1762 was found in a chimney that was being repaired. For many years the home was owned by the Cohill family that pioneered the orchard industry in Hancock. The home was sold in 1976 but purchased by the original Cohill owner’s great-grandson in 1990.
Tickets for the Holiday Tour of Historic Homes cost $12 each for adults and $6 each for students and are good for both Saturday and Sunday. Tickets can be purchased at Tower Bank, Hancock Town Hill or call 301- 678-6308.