2009-10-29 / Features

Smoke, Carbon Monoxide Killed 3 Western Pa. Kids

CLAIRTON, Pa. (AP) – The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s office says smoke and carbon monoxide poisoning killed three children trapped in an early-morning fire in a Pittsburgh area town house.

Authorities say sisters Rachel Finn, 9, and Deausha Faulk, 6, died in their home early Friday, along with 2-year-old Michael Zigler, who was visiting the family. Police say they were trapped in an upstairs bedroom at the Century Town Homes complex in Clairton, about 10 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

Police and firefighters were unable to reach the children because of the heat. The blaze apparently started in the kitchen, and the cause remains under investigation but is not considered suspicious. Four other family members, including the girls’ mother and sister, were able to escape from the home.

Return to top