Apple Pie Contest At Fulton County Fair
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS
Calling all bakers for the 2009 Blue Ribbon Apple Pie baking contest to be held on August 17 at the Fulton County Fair. The contest is co-sponsored by The Pennsylvania Apple Marketing Program, The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and The Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs.
More than 100 fairs across Pennsylvania will offer ribbons for the best prize. Fulton County Fair's contest is a preliminary competition that leads to the selection of the final Blue Ribbon Apple Pie winner held each January at the Pennsylvania State Farm Show.
The rules for Fulton County Fair's contest are as follow:
1. Open to any individual who is a Pennsylvania resident; only one entry per person.
2. Entry to be a pie that must include at leat 60 percent apples in the filling. It does not need to be a "traditional" two crusted apple pie and it can have a variety of fillings.
3. The entire pie must be submitted for judging in a disposable pie pan.
4. The recipe for the pie and pie crust must be submitted with the entry. It should be submitted on an 8½" x 11" sheet of paper. The recipe must list all the ingredients, quantities and the preparation instructions. Entrant's name, address and phone number must be printed on the back side of all the pages.
5. Refrigeration is not available at the fair or PA Farm Show. Entries that require refrigeration after baking must indicate so in the recipe. Those entries will not be sold, auctioned or otherwise distributed for consumption after judging for food safety reasons.
6. Judging will be based on the following criteria: Flavor, 30 points Filling, 25 points Crust, 20 points Overall Appearance, 15 points Creativity, 10 points Total, 100 points So dig out that favorite apple pie recipe and give it a try. You could end up being the Blue Ribbon Apple Pie winner at the Pennsylvania State Farm Show. For more information on entry requirements, obtain a Fulton County Fair premium book at local businesses or at the fair office August 16 and 17. All entries must be submitted by August 17 at 3:00 p.m.