Knobsville Home Damaged In Fire
The second story of a Todd Township home sustained both fire and smoke damage last Thursday afternoon that required volunteer firefighters and additional manpower from a total of five area fire companies.
Primary responders from the McConnellsburg Volunteer Fire Co. arrived at the 408 Knobsville Road home of Lisa Dick shortly after the call went out at 4 p.m. to extinguish the blaze. Firefighters, according to Mc- Connellsburg Fire Chief Pete Lynch, found flames and heavy smoke emanating from upstairs bedroom.
Due to the "extreme heat," the additional manpower was necessary to keep the crews fresh while rotating in and out of the structure fire, said Lynch. Cooling misters belonging to companies 56 and 57 were put into use during the event.
Approximately 50 firefighters, fire police and related officials were on the scene, representing McConnellsburg, Hustontown, Needmore, St. Thomas and Robertsdale, Wood, and Broad Top (RW&BT) companies. Several of the firefighters were denied re-entry following a break and mandatory use of the cooling or rehab stations.
The fire, Lynch stated, was contained to one specific bedroom and to the partitions leading into the attic space. As a result of their suppression efforts and the condition of the blaze, there was water and fire and smoke-related damage to the entire upstairs of Dick's residence.
Neither Dick nor her son were at home when the fire started. The fire chief noted the Mc- Connellsburg area woman had left for her place of employment approximately 30 to 60 minutes before the fire was discovered.
An investigation of the fire scene Friday morning by Fire Marshal M.B. Gordon of the Mc- . Connellsburg state police barracks determined the location of the blaze as being near the second floor window located on the northern side of the residence. Cause, the local fire marshal told the "News," has been linked to an overloaded electrical circuit.
Estimated damage to the home and the Dick family's personal belongings has been set at $50,000, noted Gordon. At least two of the Dick's pets have been confirmed deceased and multiple animals still remain unaccounted for.
In addition to the fire marshal visiting the scene, Ron Mitchell, local official with the Fulton County chapter of the American Red Cross was also available to meet with the Dick family and provide assistance. The family is currently residing with relatives.