Antique Quilt Donated To Historical Society
The quilt was made by Fulton County native Vallora Shives (1851-1929), who married George W. Pittman (1847-1917). After their marriage in 1876, they established a home in Hancock and later moved to Washington, D.C. Clair's father was their grandson.
A traditional eight-pointed star forms the center design with eight large flowers surrounding it and a scalloped border on all sides. The fabrics are plain colors. Fine, close quilting and a small 70-inchby 70-inch size suggest an early date. The large flowers give the quilt an unusual appearance, perhaps an original artistic design of Vallora's.
The Shives family settled in this area before the Revolutionary War, but her mother, Mary Stein Shives, came to the U.S. as a child about 1838-39 from Hesse Darmstadt, Germany.
The Historical Society is planning a 2009 annual book to feature quilts and coverlets in the society's collection. Early local works such as this illustrate our local heritage and material culture. Other donations are welcomed and can be included in the book if received before the end of 2008.